[K12OSN] was: 4 Gig mem limit

Dan Maranville likuidkewl at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 22:44:57 UTC 2008

Brandon Kovach wrote:
> Pardon me for being dumb, but what is the k12ltsp EL?  More to the point,
> what is different between it and k12ltsp?  Is it still fedora based?  I
> think I read a post that said CentOS, but I can't find it now.  We've used
> the k12 project stuff for 4 years now and have had no trouble, but this
> year hasn't been the case.  I've had quite some trouble with it.  I was
> looking at maybe switching to something else ... Edubuntu or maybe doing a
> debian build myself.
>
> BK

EL is used in short for the Centos Enterprise Linux release, based
strictly on Redhat's upstream.  So it is a touch behind in the "bleeding
edge" category compared to Fedora.  As FC6 is at EOL switching to Centos
LTSP may not be a bad idea, Centos 5.1 has recently been released and
will be supported for a few years(I can't recall the exact dates at the
moment).

There is a build of LTSP ported to Centos versions 4 and 5, they can be
found here:
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/

Under:
5.0.0-EL-32 or 64
4.2.3-EL-32 or 64

HTH