[K12OSN] State of K12LTSP?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Jan 10 06:30:17 UTC 2008

On 12/27/07, monteslu at cox.net <monteslu at cox.net> wrote:
> Eric Harrison, any chance we can get an official comment on the state of things?
>
> I'm sure you're a busy guy, and I very much appreciate the years of work you've put into the project.
>
> I've been using K12LTSP for a several years, but had to switch to edubuntu this past summer.
> I'd switch back to fedora in a heartbeat if it had solid LTSP5 support.

Here is the official state of the union:

1) The fundamental flaw with K12LTSP is that is has mostly been me
doing the grunt work. This is probably obvious, I'm stating it just to
make sure that it is.

2) Point #1 has burned me out. This is probably obvious, I'm stating
it just to make sure that it is.

3) I've been working long and hard, mostly behind the scenes, to fix
#1 and #2. Unless you are paying really close attention, that is
probably not obvious.

4) As part of #3, I personally helped to spec out the first version of
Edubuntu and have attended about half of the Ubuntu Developer Summits.
I've done my best to make friends with the fine folks at skolelinux,
debian-edu, revolution linux, and anyone who is a "competitor" to
K12LTSP. I've preached to the choir about how much we all have in
common and how important it is that we all work together. These are
not our competitors, these are our bothers-in-arms....

5) I've been swamped with personal & work stuff and it has been hard
to carve out large tracks of time to do K12LTSP work. Building and
testing new K12LTSP releases takes huge amounts of time. Hence K12LTSP
versions 5.1EL, 7 & 8 are still sitting in the "testing" directory.

6) If you are a Fedora hacker, you may have noticed the LTSP5 packages
trickling into the Fedora repositories. Hopes are that F9 will have
fully-functional LTSP5 support. From a purely optimistic
point-of-view, I hope that the FUDcon will result in fully-functional
LTSP5 packages for F8.

7) This weekend I will be at the Fedora FUDcon (see points #1-4, 6).
If you happen to make it to North Carolina this weekend, come and help
us do some hacking.

-Eric