[K12OSN] Re: Some clients get Gray X Screen

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Jan 11 21:38:17 UTC 2008

I ran into the same head scratcher a while back: no gdm.conf, a custom.conf
file, and yet a system that *does* work.  As I recall, custom.conf is the file
you want to modify.  I think it might be a Red Hat thing, and/or a philosophy
that "gdm.conf isn't usually modified but since it is sometimes, we'll call it
custom.conf instead."  Mostly I recall thinking that the decision made things
more confusing.  One of the great things one can say about Unix is that what one
learned 20 years ago is still relevant; unfortunately, that's rarely the case
with the GUI's on Linux. </rant>

Peter