Re: [K12OSN] teaching kids sys admin with VM's

Rob Owens wrote:
If I was only going to allow ssh access I would probably use OpenVZ.

I didn't mean necessarily to only allow ssh.  I just meant that to administer their virtual machine, they would need to connect remotely since they cannot run the virtual machine directly.

You can run NX/freenx over ssh if that's all you want to permit in. However I think in the previous post you suggested a separate bridged ethernet for each users. On the host side you can only set up bridging to physical interfaces. If you wanted to be restrictive, though you could configure host-only networking with a strictly virtual subnet and let the host do routing and firewalling.

I'd also like to recommend you try VirtualBox.  I've been using it on
Debian with great success.  Its interface looks like VMware, but it was
a quicker installation than VMware (last time I tried VMware, anyway).
There is an open source version that is not crippled in any serious way.
  The debian package is virtualbox-ose.
I have tried Virtualbox. I really like it (seems lighter than VMware)
but I have heard that it does not scale as well when using many
virtual machines as vmware. Plus, I'm not sure if it has the remote
console that vmware has.

I've run 4 or 5 virtual machines at once with VirtualBox.  It seemed to do ok, but the machines were not really doing anything (just running idle).  I've booted 2 or 3 at once (Debian Etch text mode) and my dual core AMD 5600 w/ 4 GB ram handled that ok.  I've never tried running any more than 5 simultaneous machines, though.

What's VMware's remote console, and what do you use it for?  Maybe I could tell you if VirtualBox has something similar.  (or forget about it and just use VMware)

Vmware console is the GUI interface that controls the virtual machines and lets you access their consoles. It is separate and optional, and can run on a different machine. If you set up ssh/vnc/xdm/freenx on the guest machine you can access directly instead, but the console is needed during installs up to the point where the network is set up. Security-wise, you connect the console as a user on the host and you can access only the machines where that user has execute permission on the virtual guest's *.vmx (description) file. Multiple (or no) consoles can be connected to the same guest and it feels more or less like vnc. It can also do a few tricks like connecting a guest to the CD on the machine running the console.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com