Re: [K12OSN] teaching kids sys admin with VM's

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Jan 18, 2008 2:24 PM, Rob Owens <rowens ptd net> wrote:

What's VMware's remote console, and what do you use it for?  Maybe I could tell you if VirtualBox has something similar.

I haven't used it myself yet but from what people are explaining it's
a client software which would be run on the ltsp server by students to
connect to their VM's on the VM server and see/control the boot
process. So basically connect to your VM remotely. At least this is my
understanding.

It can run on the console of the host machine if you want, or it can run remotely. It is also cross-platform, so from a windows box you can run the console of a guest on a linux server or vice-versa. Personally I prefer to connect directly to the guest with any of the remote access methods you'd use on a physical box after the install is complete, though. Ssh, remote X, NX, remote desktop, etc. are nicer once you can use them.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com