Re: [K12OSN] Ongoing printing problems k12ltsp V8

Sudev Barar wrote:
On 20/01/2008, "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com> wrote:

 It's this neat little $45 device that plugs right into the parallel port
and speaks not just HP JetDirect-ese, but apparently also IPP and LPR (and a
few other languages).  I used its "HP JetDirect" mode, which is called

[SNIP]

But this would mean running network cables in parallel for all the
network printers?

Sure, we run network cables anyway for computers, so it's just like that.  This way, you're far less limited in where you can physically put a printer.  That is, you're not limited by the length of a USB or LPT cable.

Perhaps you're thinking that you'd have to run *both* a Cat 5 cable and an LPT cable?  If so, then the answer is no, you don't.  You can think of this as a much more brainy sort of "media converter" that turns a printer's traditional Centronics parallel interface into a Cat 5 network jack that speaks TCP/IP.

--TP