[K12OSN] Ongoing printing problems k12ltsp V8

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jan 21 15:37:05 UTC 2008

> But this would mean running network cables in parallel for all the
> network printers?

The gizmo's I've used plug into the parallel port or USB port on the
printer. Then a standard network cable is attached and they get setup
with a static IP (or a dynamic one attached to the MAC address of the
gizmo). Now everyone prints using a network printer format and no more
parallel/USB port stuff.

So each printer will need it's own network cable but that can be done
with a small switch in a classroom fed from the single room drop line
anyway. Most schools I've seen have usually only one, and at most 2,
network access sockets per classroom. It is low cost to plug in a $20
5-port switch and have 4 devices online at once.

Or get a bigger switch and hook up a nice collection of Linux thin
clients and a classroom printer and do it for every classroom in the
district. The teachers and students will thank you! :)
--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>