[K12OSN] Users' Maildir directories

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jan 23 13:23:34 UTC 2008

Then the real user can't write to the maildir folder when deleting an
email or moving and email to a secondary storage area.

A better process would be to "hide" the maildir as a .maildir folder.
Then a symlink of Mail->.maildir which if deleted is easily recreated
with a cron script. The .maildir will be then immune from most user
deletions. This will require a slight change in the
sendmail/postfix/qmail setup to use the new location.
On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 07:08 -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> I wonder if it would be possible to change ownership and permissions of
> the Maildir folder so that only the mail system user can write to it.
> That way you could leave it in /home without worrying about it getting
> deleted by accident.  If I have some time to experiment on this, I'll
> post back.
>
> -Rob
>
> Michael Blinn wrote:
> > Thanks Rob - I'm already sure postfix and dovecot _can_ it, and procmail
> > certainly can filter my spam into a Junk folder no matter the location.
> > I'm just wondering if there are downsides before I make the switch, or
> > alternatives. I suppose putting email in /var would work also.
> > Cheers,
> > -Michael
> >
> > Rob Owens wrote:
> >> I briefly looked into this on a Debian system I was playing around
> >> with.  It uses exim4 instead of postfix.  I couldn't find a setting in
> >> exim4 to allow a different location for the Maildir folder, but I'm a
> >> novice in that area so I might have missed it.  So first make sure
> >> that Postfix will let you specify an alternate location, and then
> >> consider whether the user's mail should go in their home directory at
> >> all.  Maybe it should be put in /var/mail or some other location where
> >> it's less likely to be deleted--that was my goal.
> >>
> >> -Rob

> material. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction,
> copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this transmission in
> error please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail.
> E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as
> information could be intercepted, corrupted lost, destroyed, arrive late or
> incomplete, or contain viruses.
> The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions
> in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail
> transmission. If verification is required please request a hard copy
> version.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC