[K12OSN] Morley's Great K12LTSP labs - update

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sun Jan 27 15:50:05 UTC 2008

Nils Breunese wrote:

> Tom Wolfe wrote:
>
>> OK that settles the question of whether to go 5.0 EL or not -- if I
>> have to struggle another nanosecond with getting flash to work with
>> 64-bit I don't want anything to do with it. I'd rather run the risk
>> of being hacked and cracked, and that's the truth. Although I side
>> with the philosophical arguments, my teachers demand flash with
>> sound as their #1 priority, way above Office compatibility for
>> example.
>>
>> WRT disadvantages of Edubuntu -- the disadvantages for me anyhow
>> were numerous. Getting flash to work with 64-bit operating system
>> proved a futile exercise, and I ran into all kinds of little
>> glitches along the way. I won't go into details. That said it's got
>> great curb appeal, and I hope that their spring 2008 version has
>> more promise because it could be worth another look.
>
> If only Adobe would just be capable of creating a 64-bit version of
> their Flash Player...

In October 2006 Tinic Uro blogged: "What about 64bit? There is no
Windows 64bit or OS X 64bit version either right now. As I said before
it is not a question of 'recompiling' the source code, there is lots
of generic non platform specific work which needs to be finished
first. We will ship a 64bit version for Windows, OS X Leopard and GNU/
Linux. It will happen. When? ... When it is ready." (http://www.kaourantin.net/2006/10/flash-player-9-for-linux-beta-1.html
)

It's January 2008 now. Every major OS has 64-bit versions. All modern
processors are capable of 64-bit. Come on, guys, get crackin'!

Nils Breunese.

P.S. Also see http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/10/whats_so_difficult_64bit_editi.html