Re: [K12OSN] Morley's Great K12LTSP labs - update

Rob Owens wrote:
On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:43:03PM +0100, Nils Breunese wrote:
Tom Wolfe wrote:

OK that settles the question of whether to go 5.0 EL or not -- if I have to struggle another nanosecond with getting flash to work with 64-bit I don't want anything to do with it. I'd rather run the risk of being hacked and cracked, and that's the truth. Although I side with the philosophical arguments, my teachers demand flash with sound as their #1 priority, way above Office compatibility for example.

WRT disadvantages of Edubuntu -- the disadvantages for me anyhow were numerous. Getting flash to work with 64-bit operating system proved a futile exercise, and I ran into all kinds of little glitches along the way. I won't go into details. That said it's got great curb appeal, and I hope that their spring 2008 version has more promise because it could be worth another look.
If only Adobe would just be capable of creating a 64-bit version of their Flash Player...

Nils Breunese.

P.S.1. We run a K12LTSP 5EL server with 64-bit Firefox and nspluginwrapper to be able to use the 32-bit Flash Player. That works fine, but I don't know about sound (and whether the whole 64-bit versus 32-bit thing has anything to do with it). P.S.2. Others just install Firefox 32-bit on their 64-bit OS and that apparently works just fine as well. Don't know if that helps with sound though. P.S.3. Apparently Opera 9.5 will support running the 32-bit Flash Player plugin under the 64-bit version of Opera out-of-the-box.

Has anybody on the list had success running Firefox for Windows under wine, and getting Flash to work that way?

-Rob