[K12OSN] Need help integrating LTSP Server into school network

Cody Grosskopf cgrossko at wusd.org
Tue Jan 29 16:04:25 UTC 2008

Devry - I put my LTSP labs a separate VLAN, this would require a smart switch and two NIC's (the way I have done it) you could probably get away with one NIC with the VLAN package installed on your Linux distro but two NIC's would save some pain for sure. Once you have done that, if you are planning on using DHCP or any other network services just make sure they are listening only on the NIC that is on the newly created VLAN, thus segmenting traffic to that VLAN and that should remove the threat to the rest of the network and if your IT guy understands this, it should make him rest easy.

Good Job!

Cody

>>> "Devry Lin" <devrylin.thesageinblack at gmail.com> 01/29/08 4:17 AM >>>
I am, a high schooler, completely new to K12LTSP and haven't learned much
linux, and I am trying to get LTSP 6.0.0. to work in my school for my IT
project...

I've gotten the LTSP to work by following the installation guide, but it has
trouble getting on the Internet. I am not directly connecting to the
Internet, instead I have to connect through my school's network that has a
DHCP server and DNS Service (the rest of the school network runs windows
machines).

The IT Technician told me that I would need to buy a DSL connection so that
the LTSP server is separate from the school's local network to prevent
collisions in the services (presumably the DHCP and DNS).

Is there anything that can be done about this problem without resorting to
buying another internet connection? Also, what should I check before I plug
the LTSP server into the network to prevent anything catastrophic from
happening (like disabling the school network)?

Is there any other detail that is needed?

Thanks in Advance
Devry Lin