[K12OSN] Need help integrating LTSP Server into school network

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Jan 29 16:38:31 UTC 2008

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

> To prevent justifying his fear, just make sure that you hook up eth0 and
> eth1 *CORRECTLY!*
>
>> Is there anything that can be done about this problem without
>> resorting to buying another internet connection? Also, what should I
>> check before I plug the LTSP server into the network to prevent
>> anything catastrophic from happening (like disabling the school network)?
>
> Yep.  Just make sure that eth1 is hooked up to the school network...and
> NOT eth0.  Eth0 goes to the thin client segment *ONLY*, because that's
> where DHCP is served.  Please do not get that backwards.  Physically
> label your LTSP server's Ethernet ports if you have to.

But note that from one kernel version to another, Linux may detect your
NICs in a different order.  This normally doesn't cause trouble with
updates because your ethernet hardware addresses are included in the
configuration to subsequently tie down the device names.  However if you
re-install from scratch the eth0/eth1 names could easily be reversed.  A
safe way to check is to disconnect the main LAN side before the reboot
following an install and make sure you can boot a thin client on the
local side to show that your DHCP is going to the right place before
reconnecting.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com