[K12OSN] Anyone quantified savings using LTSP?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Tue Jan 29 23:42:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 12:22:59PM -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> Our server which is a Dual Quad Core (8 cores) 2.66Ghz w/1333Mhz FSB, 16GB RAM
> expandable to 32GB, six 300GB SAS 3Gbps drives, six 1GB NIC's, was about $12,000.

That's some machine.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to use less expensive servers
but more of them for the lstp servers.  Seems like memory is the big
issue -- so maybe a single quad core with 8GB RAM.  Then make them
basically mirrors of each other.

Maybe pick one for NFS mounted home directories for the students. And
have a way to quickly reset a collection of machines to use another
server if one fails.  If one class room needs more power add another
inexpensive ltsp server.

Are there any existing tools that can maintain a database of machines
(mac IDs), students, grades, classes that can be used to create dhcpd
and LDAP configurations?  I can see a web interface that would all
assignment of machines to ltsp servers and for grouping students into
classes (groups) for shared access and to provide access by their
teachers.

> This is the benefit of what can be obtained once you get past the Windows/Apple huggers.
>  We still have a 22 computer multimedia lab for our graphical arts classes which uses
> Apple eMac's and proprietary software.  We still have Windows machines in the
> administration offices to work with proprietary software.  So everything has its place,
> but we have gotten smart on cost where we can, and have increased the software offerings
> to students with no additional costs.  And soon they will be able to use their school
> desktop from home, for free, another savings compared to Windows or Mac.

Yes, I like that the savings realized can be used to buy a few really sweet
multimedia machines for, say, video production.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org