[K12OSN] Anyone quantified savings using LTSP?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jan 30 17:21:35 UTC 2008

James P. Kinney III wrote:
>> Of course, it's not that hard to come up with donated PCs, so that's a
>> bigger savings.
>>

> Old PC's are the way to get the thin client process _started_. The are
> large, hot, heavy and often come with the old CRT monitor. All power
> hogs.

I have to disagree somewhat here.  Old PC's actually don't use much
juice at all if you just pull the hard disks (the power cable to the HD
is sufficient) and use LCD screens with them.  CRT's are going to suck
power whether you hook them up to a new Northtec-style thin client or an
old PC.

We once got a bunch of donated 15" LCD screens at one school, and they
got put into a lab full of Dell OptiPlex GX1's.   Once I flashed the
BIOSes to the latest revision (took 5 minutes per box), things went
smoothly as wet ice...and saved a nice wad of cash, too.

--TP