[K12OSN] Looking for wisdom of the masses

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 20:10:24 UTC 2008

On 1/31/08, Alan Hodson <aahodson at episd.org> wrote:
> At a school where I just installed a new server (Centos5-64B AMD Dell) for 30 thin clients, teachers are wanting to log into the system from their own laptops. The district is behind a firewall and the server's eth1 has a static IP: 10.x.x.x - what is the easiest way of allowing them to log in as thin clients from areas away from the lab? VLans are not viable, and their laptops are running XP. I should be able to burn a cd with enough info/resources for them to log in, no? DSL?
> All suggestions welcomed

Install the freenx client software from nomachine.com on the XP laptops.

Install the freenx server on your ltsp box.

If they want access from outside the school you are going to have to
open (port forward to your ltsp box) at least one port on the
firewall. It does not necessarily have to be 22.

I have not done it, but others have. Maybe they can fill in the details.

--
Robert Arkiletian