Re: [K12OSN] Looking for wisdom of the masses

Bear in mind that the free version of the server only supports two concurrent users. But I have used it and concur it works great.

ed

Peter Scheie wrote:
Use NX (aka NoMachine). Clients (free as in beer) for Windows, Macs, and Linux are available www.nomachine.org. For the server, get the FreeNX server (not sure if it's in the CentOS repos or not). Instructions on setting it up available at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX. It runs over port 22 (ssh) and is encrypted. Performance is great.

Peter

Alan Hodson wrote:
Salutations

At a school where I just installed a new server (Centos5-64B AMD Dell) for 30 thin clients, teachers are wanting to log into the system from their own laptops. The district is behind a firewall and the server's eth1 has a static IP: 10.x.x.x - what is the easiest way of allowing them to log in as thin clients from areas away from the lab? VLans are not viable, and their laptops are running XP. I should be able to burn a cd with enough info/resources for them to log in, no? DSL?
All suggestions welcomed

Alan Hodson
El Paso ISD, TX
-=o=-

Alan A Hodson MEd.
oF: 915-887-6871
fX: 915-779-4100
aahodson episd org
http://links.episd.org/
http://tinyurl.com/3e4sh8

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away
-=o=-