[K12OSN] Motherboard Manufacturer Recommendations?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Jul 4 06:25:34 UTC 2008

Whatever you get, be sure it's a Socket AM2+, not just AM2.  AM2+ will
support the new tri- and quad-core Phenoms.  Yes, I know AMD says
they're supported on Socket AM2, too, but it requires an updated BIOS.
A recent Tom's Hardware article showed that mobo makers don't really
want to do that (only ASUS worked).  So start with AM2+ from the get-go,
and you should be fine.

My experience with Tyan is likewise stellar, and I'd recommend one of
their mobos any day.  That's where Penguin Computing sources their
mobos, and for a reason.

My demo LTSP server runs a dual-Athlon Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466).  Still
rockin'.  During the Socket 7 days, their S1590S Trinity motherboard
(with AMD K6-2) was my mobo of choice, and they've never broken on me.

I've also had good luck with MSI's dual Athlon boards, so I'd imagine
their newer AMD64 boards are also good.

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate