[K12OSN] OT: Texas School IT folks - Beware!

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 01:09:38 UTC 2008

2008/7/6  <ahodson at elp.rr.com>:
> Folks @ my Linux UG are being told to share this with their legal
> Dpts. It can affect our ability to act on "bad user" tips or on
> repairs at large. W/O licenses, not only are IT folks acting illegally
> in a lot of cases, they are vulnerable to lawsuits and
> fines/imprisonment.
> ==========
> New Texas Law Limits Computer Repair To Licensed Private Investigators
> Institute for Justice Texas Chapter Opens in Austin with Challenge to Statute

[SNIP]

First this is academic for me as I am not in Texas - not even in US
for that matter.

I think this is over reaction, There is already lot of words written
on this subject and central point is "you only need PI license if you
are going to snoop on data for purposes of determining if any crime
has been committed"

IAC interesting to see what justices will pronounce on this.
--
Regards,
Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.