[K12OSN] home directory permissions

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 14:33:30 UTC 2008

Hmm. The default user setup is 700. So unless the students are changing
things something is wrong with the permission controls from Likewise.

chmod 700 /home/*

That will reset the permissions on all directories in /home .
If the problem recurs, make it a cron job as follows:

crontab -e

Now PgDn to the bottom of the file and hit "A" (capital letter A for
Append) and hit the enter to start a new line

now type in:

* 7,11 * * * chmod 700 /home/*

then hit <Esc> then :wq

(yes this is a vi environment - it's good to know at least the basics!)

So now, every day at 7 and 11 am all directories will be reset to perms
700. If you want to do it every 2 hours, change the 7,11 to be */2 . If
you want 3pm only, use 15 instead of 7,11 .

If you don't want an email of everytime it runs make the first line of
the crontab :

MAILTO=''

But I would look into WHY and HOW the perms were changed in the first
place. Something is amiss!
On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 06:54 -0700, Ernie Hudson wrote:
> Does anyone have an easy way to change the permissions on the home
> directories so that only the owner has access to it. We have some very
> bright students and they have found out that they can copy work from
> someone else and have more free time. I am using the 5EL and have
> single sign on using likewise open from my windows server using active
> directory. I know I can change them one at a time using “chmod 700
> filename”. I am not adept at writing scripts and hoping someone can
> help.
>

> outlook signature

> Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this e-mail message and
> any attachments are intended solely for the addressee. The information
> may also be confidential and/or legally privileged. This transmission
> is sent for the sole purpose of delivery to the intended recipient. If
> you have received this transmission in error, any use, reproduction,
> or dissemination of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you
> are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender
> by reply e-mail, send a copy to postmaster at snowlineschools.com and
>
> E-mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
> SS 2510-2521 and is legally privileged.
>
> --
> believed to be clean.
James P. Kinney III