[K12OSN] Pentium I and II still useful?

Dan Bretherton danbretherton at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 12:58:32 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I recently acquired two old computers that would make ideal diskless terminals
for a school or community computer lab.  One is a Pentium and the other a
Pentium II.  I set up three small LTSP based labs in Guyana between 2003 and
2005, and when I left donated Pentium class computers were still being
shipped to developing countries by organisations such as Computer Aid
International and the World Computer Exchange.  Three years later, and now
back in the UK, I have discovered that the minimum specification that
computer refurbishment charities will accept is Pentium III.  This may be
because there are so many PIII and above PCs being donated that these
organisations don't have the resources to deal with the lower specs any more.
However, I am still hoping to find a home for my Pentium I and II, and it
occurred to me that the UK LTSP community would be a good place to start.
Please let me know if these computers would be useful to you or your
organisation.  I live in Reading and regularly visit East Devon, and I would
be happy to drive a reasonable distance from either of those locations to
drop them off.

Regards,
Dan.