[K12OSN] Open Office

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jul 14 02:36:06 UTC 2008

Docx is a problem! The OoO v3.0 will have full support. I've been
testing the beta version with good results so far. It handles docx fine
so far. The only real issue with converting it to odf is when it gets
sent back as doc and not docx, office2007 thinks the file is a virus.
There is an "update" that is supposed to correct this behavior for
office2007 but apparently is it not perfect.

Thanks for the heads up on this solution!!  Maybe I'm just getting
crusty but wasn't rtf supposed to the "interoperable document format"
designed by Microsoft?

I like to point people to the ODF plugin site from Sun for the poor
Microsoft Office users who just don't have an acceptable document
interchange format :)

http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 19:17 -0400, William Fragakis wrote:
> The docx issue finally bit me and in going through the old posts, I
> found lots of venting and workarounds. Thought these might help:
>
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-171119.html
>

> http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-converter-integrator
>
> I dropped in the convertor in the first link's instructions but the
> convertor would only work from the command line
>
> ie /usr/lib/openoffice.org/program/OdfConverter /i foo.docx
>
> installing the rpm from the second post allows you to click on the docx
> file and automatically convert it to an odf
> Hope this helps.
>
> Apologies if these links were posted earlier. Didn't see them when
> searching.
>
> William

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering