[K12OSN] OT - what's the easiest route to centralized authentication and home folders?

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Mon Jul 21 19:59:36 UTC 2008

Hey folks,

Starting from scratch, what's the best way to centralize logins and file
serving for a mixed group of linux (ubuntu) and Windows XP (home)
workstations.  The school is also talking about installing a Mac.  I'm
thinking of trying the Samba/LDAP script on Centos 5 K12LTSP.  Is there
a better (easier) way to go?  How would you do it if you were starting
from scratch and actually implementing thin clients was a ways off in
your planning?  Should I go 64 bit?  The server I'm thinking of using is
a Pentium D.

This needs to serve about 50 students - 10 staff and volunteers
17 workstations mixed Ubuntu / Windows (for now)  - possibly all on at
the same time.

My plan so far is to install Centos 5 K12LTSP on a repurposed
workstation with a mirrored software RAID for the home directories.
Install backupPC on another repurposed workstation for nightly backups
of above.
Use the Samba/LDAP script to export /home and provide authentication for
everybody.
I intend to use LDAP for the school's Joomla site, possibly Moodle, an
attendance program, etc. after I get the initial server set up.

Any suggestions?  Is this overkill for 50 students?  We have $0 budget
for this.

Thank you so much,

ck