Re: [K12OSN] Motherboard Manufacturer Recommendations?

I had a problem with Abit boards once. I bought two at the same time, and the onboard NIC on both boards had the same MAC address. It really caused problems for DHCP. To Abit's credit, they sent me new bios chips immediately and didn't give me a bunch of BS about how having the same MAC address is impossible. (Actually, I suspect they may have had that problem before because the guy on the phone didn't even flinch when I told him my problem).

Besides that, though, I don't have any complaints about the boards. They're in use in 2 of my BackupPC servers.

-Rob

James P. Kinney III wrote:
The top board maker by far is Tyan. They are not the least expensive nor
the most expensive. Their boards are typically designed for heavy server
use.
The second place in most respects is Asus. They have a larger variety of
boards than Tyan and that is tailored more toward the desktop. Many of
their models are quite solid and some are really server-duty hardware.

SuperMicro is my third choice maker. I only put it after Tyan because I
have had a SuperMicro board fail (once) and non of my Tyans have failed
(yet). As I have a strong preference for LTSP servers using AMD cpus, I
do not use many SM boards as their line is geared more toward Intel.

Last and certainly not least of what I will use is Abit. They have a
large lineup of quite stable boards that are a good value for the money.
I don't expect them to take the constant abuse of a Tyan, and they
won't. But when a working Abit board can be bought and replaced twice
for the cost of a Tyan board running the same cpu, it boils down to
allowable down time. If a failure is OK, I use Abit. If the system MUST
WORK and/or parts replacement is impossible because of remoteness, Tyan.

Right now a solid system using Athlon X2/Phenom is a very good starter
point for a new small server. Go look at the Asus Crosshair II Formula
AM@/AM2+ board :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131292