Re: [K12OSN] home directory permissions

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

Ernie Hudson wrote:

Does anyone have an easy way to change the permissions on the home directories so that only the owner has access to it. We have some very bright students and they have found out that they can copy work from someone else and have more free time. I am using the 5EL and have single sign on using likewise open from my windows server using active directory. I know I can change them one at a time using “chmod 700 filename”. I am not adept at writing scripts and hoping someone can help.

Do get the basics of shell-scripting down. I'd recommend heading over to http://www.tldp.org and reading the Advanced BASH Scripting Guide. That's how I learned how to do it. Extremely handy skill and very necessary, just as important as writing .BAT or .REG files on Windows.

Now to your specific question. That's pretty easy to do. All you really have to do is change the top level directory permissions under /home, i. e. no recursion needed. I'd do it like this, in a basic FOR loop:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home
for dir in *
do
  chmod 700 $dir
done

Unless there are a lot of homedirs you should also be able to use this one-liner:

	# chmod 700 /home/*

You might also want to make sure that new users get their homedir permissions set up like this. I don't know where to change this off the top of my head right now.

Nils Breunese.