Re: [K12OSN] home directory permissions

unless something has changed the default was 755 ...at least with all of the K12LTSP installs I've done... users of the same group were always able to see others' files...before tweaking a thing.

rwxr-xr-x

--Huck

James P. Kinney III wrote:
Hmm. The default user setup is 700. So unless the students are changing
things something is wrong with the permission controls from Likewise.

chmod 700 /home/*

That will reset the permissions on all directories in /home .
If the problem recurs, make it a cron job as follows:

crontab -e

Now PgDn to the bottom of the file and hit "A" (capital letter A for
Append) and hit the enter to start a new line

now type in:

* 7,11 * * * chmod 700 /home/*

then hit <Esc> then :wq

(yes this is a vi environment - it's good to know at least the basics!)

So now, every day at 7 and 11 am all directories will be reset to perms
700. If you want to do it every 2 hours, change the 7,11 to be */2 . If
you want 3pm only, use 15 instead of 7,11 .

If you don't want an email of everytime it runs make the first line of
the crontab :

MAILTO=''

But I would look into WHY and HOW the perms were changed in the first
place. Something is amiss!