[K12OSN] Question on USB sticks on thin client

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 10:35:47 UTC 2008

jeff williams wrote:
> Greetings...
>
> I'm using a DevonIT 6030B thin client in a K12LTSP-5.0EL environment.  I know
> that you can mount a USB stick on the thin client, at least that is what I
> have been lead to believe.  The K12LTSP WIKI technical section says
> (paraphrased), "This writeup is obsolete."
>
> Ok, so how do I cause this to happen?
>
> Many thanks.

I have K12LTSP-5.0EL working with sound and USB sticks on the DevonIT 6020P as
well as DisklessWorkstations 1220 terminals. The 1220 support USB v2.0 but not
the DevonIT.

The problem is that the terminal only supports USB v1.1 and the USB v2.0
driver (ehci-hcd) gets "in the way". The work-around is to never load ehci-hcd
so that the USB v1.1 driver loads first and can recognize the device. Other
terminals with USB v2.0 support will still work with the USB v1.1 driver so
don't lose much. The work-around is accomplished by trivial edits of two
scripts.

In /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.sysinit:

Change from this:
         for MODULE in ehci-hcd uhci-hcd ohci-hcd; do
To this:
         for MODULE in uhci-hcd ohci-hcd; do

In /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.usb:

Change from this:
         for module in usb-uhci usb-ohci ehci-hcd uhci-hcd ohci-hcd
To this:
         for module in usb-uhci usb-ohci uhci-hcd ohci-hcd

This assumes that everything else needed for local devices is in working order.
One aspect sometimes overlooked is that NBD depends on both the terminal and
the server agreeing on the name and IP address of the client. Make sure that
your /etc/hosts file has the correct name to IP mapping for your terminals.

                         - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802      http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W              AST (UTC-4)                         |