Re: [K12OSN] home directory permissions

David L. Willson wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:23:39 +0200, Nils Breunese wrote
David L. Willson wrote:

crontab -e

Now PgDn to the bottom of the file and hit "A" (capital letter A for
Append) and hit the enter to start a new line

now type in:

* 7,11 * * * chmod 700 /home/*

then hit <Esc> then :wq

Let me recommend:

G                               <-- take me to the end of the file
o <-- open a new line below and edit it
* 7,11 * * * chmod 700 /home/*  <-- type your new line
ZZ                              <-- safe save and quit

You can leave out G and directly use 'o' to insert a new line below
your current position.

I understood from the words "PgDn to the bottom of the file" that we want the new line at the bottom of the file, though. If you don't hit 'G' before 'o' the new line will be
inserted after the first, not after the last.

You're right, I was reading 'end of the line' which I thought was unnecessary, but of course that's not what G does.

Nils Breunese.