[K12OSN] samba-vscan-clamav for your file server

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jul 13 04:04:07 UTC 2008

Hey Barry!

It gets even better. You can also auto-scan all web traffic for virus
patterns as well using squid and clamav:

http://www.opensourcehowto.org/how-to/squid/squid-clamav--havp.html

Now add to all of this MailScanner with Spamassassin and Clamav for
virus and you have a pretty solid and clean setup.
http://www.mailscanner.info/

OpenSource is Great!!

On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 21:15 -0500, Barry R Cisna wrote:
> Hello Listers,
>
> Don't know what everyone is using for virus scanning on your school's
> windersz boxes. Just thought this may be of interest to some people
> here. I set up a few weeks ago, on our Samba file server for all
> students and staff at school samba-vscan-clamav. I guess i shouldn't
> blow about it yet, but with quite a bit of testing by yours truly,this
> really works slick as a real time scanner on any samba share on your
> file server you want it to scan in real time.( Most likely your users
> home folders of course). With this setup the higher ups will like it
> somewhat better than running the 'ol midnight cron job of clamd'.Also
> might mention,in the last 3 years since going to Clamav on all of our
> windersz boxes at school we have not had any "outbreaks" of viruses. I
> think this addition will be very nice as a transparent scanning
> piece,for all files coming and going on the file server. Other than
> having to compile it against whatever version of Samba you are running
> it was very easy, lightweight to setup.Couldn't find very many rpm's for
> samba-vscan-clamav.
> Just an FYI.
>
> take care,
>
> Barry Cisna