Re: [K12OSN] Re: Ubuntu and vi

David L. Willson wrote:

Thank you, Sean.  This resolves a ~huge~ bother for me.

On my Ubuntu system /usr/bin/vi is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/vi. No need to change the symlink, you can just install the vim-gnome package (Ubuntu comes with only vim-tiny installed by default I believe) and run 'sudo update-alternatives --config vi' to set your preference (mine is pointing to /usr/bin/vim.gnome).

Nils Breunese.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 09:02:48 -0700, Sean Harbour wrote
If you've noticed that the vi command in Ubuntu is a little too much
"old school", use vim instead, or
just fix the sim link at /usr/bin/vi to point to /etc/alternatives/ vim.

--
Sean Harbour
Senior Network Engineer

-- David