[K12OSN] Reading TCP packets

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Jul 23 15:55:44 UTC 2008

Sudev Barar wrote:
> This may not be correct place but collective wisdom can perhaps point
> me to a good resource.
>
> I have a remote device that is generating data and is sending as a TCP
> packet to designated IP:Port. If I open and set a non standard port I
> am able to receive the packets using a listener. Problem is that the
> host where I have to move this project allows listening only on port
> 80 (apache) or port 25/110 (mail) or port 22 (ssh)
>
> How can I set up apache or iptables to log in incoming data packets
> while at the same time allow apache to serve web pages?
>
> My google time continues to turn up inconclusive leads.

If you're sniffing, which is what it sounds like you're doing, then it
doesn't matter which "port you have open."  You don't need to have any
"ports open" on your sniffer.  Rob Owens suggested Wireshark, and I
agree with him.  TCPDump is another good sniffer.

Exactly how are you "opening and setting a non standard port"?

--TP