Re: [K12OSN] Reading TCP packets

Sudev Barar wrote:

2008/7/23 "Terrell Prudé Jr." <microman cmosnetworks com>:
I have a remote device that is generating data and is sending as a TCP packet to designated IP:Port. If I open and set a non standard port I
am able to receive the packets using a listener. Problem is that the
host where I have to move this project allows listening only on port
80 (apache) or port 25/110 (mail) or port 22 (ssh)

How can I set up apache or iptables to log in incoming data packets
while at the same time allow apache to serve web pages?

My google time continues to turn up inconclusive leads.

If you're sniffing, which is what it sounds like you're doing, then it doesn't matter which "port you have open." You don't need to have any
"ports open" on your sniffer.  Rob Owens suggested Wireshark, and I
agree with him.  TCPDump is another good sniffer.

No I am not sniffing. The remote device can be set to send packets to
any IP:Port combination. So I just opened a random high port in my
firewall and used "nc" to read the packets at that port. Then another
program takes over and process these and log them on to database.

Now problem is after establishing proof of concept on my laptop I need
to run this system on a web-host and that host only has ports
mentioned open.

I don't know what kind of 'remote device' you're talking about, but can't that device make HTTP requests? If so, you could set up a web service on the web host and have that handle the messages. If SSH is supported you could also have the 'remote device' run a command on the web host via SSH. The third option seems to let the 'remote device' send an e-mail, as SMTP is also open. :o)

Nils.