Re: [K12OSN] Proposal for Middle School Computer Lab

Stephen Crampton wrote:
Any comments on the following?

I'd like to tie in my topics with other teachers, especially math and science teachers, so that topics learned in other classes can be explored further in my lab using constructivist learning techniques.

I always thought it would be a cool idea to have the photography students go out and photograph animals, then have the programming students integrate those pictures into Gcompris (in the mouse-moving games where you remove tiles to uncover a picture of an animal). If you could get your changes accepted into the upstream code, you guys would be a big hit and you'd certainly have something to brag about in the school newsletter.

Here is a sample server: Dell PowerEdgeâ„¢ SC1430 I'm attaching a quote for $3,500 for the server. I assume that we can get a better price as a public school. For the quote, I chose a RAID5 controller with three disks. This speeds up disk access and protects us against disk failure. If one disk fails, the system still works until we replace the disk. If we want to stick with a single disk drive, we can save a few hundred dollars. I also chose the maximum memory of 8 GB for the best performance. We could save a few hundred dollars by starting with less memory.

Personally I'd rather get all the RAM I could, and save money by using software RAID and SATA disks. But I've never had more than 10 users on one of my servers, so there may be problems with that setup that I haven't seen yet.

It's also possible that the school district has a server we could use or that we could get a donated server.

Careful about using too much recycled hardware. People (especially non-technical people) like to see fancy new things. Start by requesting all new hardware, and if price is an issue then talk about donated servers and old P2's as thin clients. You'll be perceived as "resourceful" instead of as a cheapskate!

We need enough tables for all of the computers. I'd like to cluster the computers into groups of 5-6 students, where each student can see all of his or her group members' screens.

You might want to head-off any concerns about students copying work from each other. It sounds like you intend for this to be used for group learning, but some folks might not realize that.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.