[K12OSN] Migrating from one server to another

I'm in the process of migrating our main PDC / Samba3 / Openldap server from one server to a new box.

I have installed the basic system including the smbldap-tools & done an initial rsync of the /home directory but I'm wondering what else I need to do.

This is how I'd intended to complete the swap.

1.) Backup main ldap server & import this to new one.
2.) copy over changes from smb.conf to new box so domain & server name are the same on both boxes.
3.) record sid from existing server & set new server to the same sid (this bit I'm not sure if I need to do as domain sid is stored in LDAP server
4.) stop samba on old server
5.) Start samba & ldap on new server
6.) Cross finger
7.) Test that existing Windows machines can login OK.

Does this seem right ??

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College

the views of Portsmouth College