[K12OSN] New Server Capacity Thoughts.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 7 03:36:27 UTC 2008

Double the RAM. Flash does NOT thread or share a library. Each flash
applet on a page opens a full instance of flash. Yuck!

If possible, put a second drive as a mirror in each server (and use
noatime in the /etc/fstab!). This will have a dramatic impact on
application performance. Be sure to NOT have /tmp in the mirror (it can
be a raid0 striped array).

It won't hurt to also have the /home server use bonded 1Gb NICs.

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 01:47 -0700, Jamie Lists wrote:
> We're thinking of putting 2 K12ltsp servers in each of our schools.
>
> Our home directories are located on other fileservers and mounted via
> NFS to the LTSP server. The LTSP server will not be doing dhcp / bind
> / etc etc.
>
> Most of our schools have the 2 post telco racks. So we we're thinking
> of buying the half length SuperMicro cases.
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/502/SC502-200.cfm
>
> With a SuperMicro motherboard/ 4 gig of ram / a single SATA 7200 RPM
> hard drive and one Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA processor.
>
> We're planning on trunking the  1gig nics together as well for a 2 gig
> connection to the switch.
>
> Clients will be assigned a server via DCHP. The DHCP table will have
> the MAC address of the client and the first choice of server to boot
> off of then the second and so on and so fourth.
>
> Mostly these will run clients at K-5 using flash based games like at
> funbrain.com.
>
> So my question is do you think 50 clients per server is a reasonable
> expectation?  I guess my main concern is the hard drive being a SATA
> drive (not the no redundancy part it just not being a SCSI striped
> RAID setup ) Even though it's not hosting the home directories will it
> be good enough for launching apps?
>
> Thanks - Jamie

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering