[K12OSN] New Server Capacity Thoughts.

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Jun 8 16:45:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 01:47 -0700, Jamie Lists wrote:
> You were talking about not mirroring swap and tmp. But if you setup 2
> drives in a raid 1 isn't everything mirrored automatically?

Only if you set it up that way. I don't use hardware raid because I
can't control how the drives will be put to use. Hardware raid will use
the entire drive. I will typically create multiple partitions and join
them as needed to make raid components and/or LVM components.
Example:
2 250GB drives
each drive is split the same way:
100M, 1GB, 5GB, 10 GB, 50GB, 100GB, rest

The 100M are raid1 /boot, 1GB are independent swap, 5GB is raid 0 /tmp,
10GB is raid1 /, 50GB is raid1 /var, 100GB is raid1 /usr, rest is
raid1 /home

This gives me a backup boot partition (I set drive 1 as primary boot and
drive as secondary), 2 GB swap (for a 1GB RAM machine, adjust up to
total 4GB swap), 10GB /tmp that is very fast read and write, 10GB very
fast read /, 50GB secure logs and email and other stuff I don't want to
loose, 100GB fast read never write /usr application space, and loads of
secure data space for users.

Complicated? Yes. But I get to set it up to suit the needs of the
system. I can clone the box by powering off, replacing drive 2 with a
new blank drive, booting into runlevel 1, partitioning new drive 2 the
same as the old, rebooting and letting the raid sync it all up. (Yes, I
can also clone it with dd but that assumes identical drives. With the
raid method I can have a new drive that is 300 GB because the 250's were
sold out).
Yes. I am a control freak :-)