[K12OSN] Text-only sessions in K12

Kevin Squire gentgeen at wikiak.org
Mon Jun 9 15:54:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:33:34 +0200 (SAST)
"David Fourie (TSC)" <k12 at bizmail.co.za> wrote:

> Hi all
> Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I have been unable to
> find anything in the lists or howtos...
>
> I am trying to get a K12 ver 6 environment to provide a text-only session
> for selected users - these users do not require any of the X-applications
> and would prefer to boot/login directly to a text session or the text
> application that we have provided for them.
>
> I tried (unsuccessfuly) to make custom changes for the specific MAC
> address in lts.conf using a line "SCREEN_01 = shell" - this booted into a
> shell, but no connection to any of the filesystems, so it was not useful.

I know this in not exactly what you are asking, but I was thinking maybe just give them a VERY BASIC window manager.  the window manager ratpoison (http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/) comes to mind.  This has the added benefit of not locking the user(s) into a specific terminal.

Just adjust their $HOME/.xsession file to look something like:

   # $HOME/.xsession startup script
   xterm &
   exec ratpoison

--