[K12OSN] Why don't more schools use FOSS

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Tue Jun 17 07:43:52 UTC 2008

On Monday 16 June 2008 17:29, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> I ran into this interesting article:
>
> "Inertia, fear of the unknown and agreements with vendors have lead to
> slow adoption of open source and free software in UK schools."
>
> http://www.itpro.co.uk/603639

We are one of the schools Becta spoke to as part of their investigation. Part
of the problem is Becta themselves. Recently they awarded the contract for
overseeing a schools open-source promotion project to a consultancy with no
open-source experience. One of the    Here are some links to the story :

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/12/open-source-snub-uk-schools
http://blogs.zdnet.co.uk/news-blog/#10008443
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39434136,00.htm

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation