[K12OSN] Anyone done an upgrade rather than a wipe recently?

Nadav Kavalerchik nadavkav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:45:08 UTC 2008

i have similar situation with 16 schools running fc6 ltsp4.2
(smoothly thanks to Eric and friends !!! supper extra thanks !!!)

i got a master server upgrade (yum disupgrade) to fc8 a few months ago
and it seems ok :-)
a few days ago i mirrored that server and upgraded it to fc9 :-(( ...
well, we use kde and now it is kde4 which is not production ready.
* especially hard for us since we use kiosktool to lockdown the desktop
and much of it has changed and their is no upgraded kiosktool version for kde4.
* kde themes/icons are messed up.
* phonon is not functional when i try to use pulseaudio (maybe it
could be fixed, since it suppose to work on a new install)
* several kde application have not been ported to kde4, yet. so it is
a bizarre mix. allot of icons are missing.
* we use the server for proxy and now it's broken (for some unknown reason).
* i plugged in a terminal and it was booting great until it got to the
"X driver scan" in which it crashed in  a loop a a few times until it
stoped.

as you can see their are several issue after an upgrade from fc6-->fc8-->fc9
i will look into those issues in the next few days and see if they can
be solved.
if not we might consider using fc8 and investigating into a fresh fc9 install.
it is that we had sooooo many tweaks over the years... :-) that we will need to
make some of them all over again. but that is life :-)