[K12OSN] New K12LTSP installation

jeff williams cfiaime at cfiaime.com
Wed Jun 18 16:27:05 UTC 2008

Greetings...

I've been monitoring the e-mail list for about 4 months and have a couple of
questions.

1.  Is the latest / greatest K12LTSP 6.0.0 as seems to be indicated on the
download page of the K12LTSP Wiki?

2.  Is there really an advantage in speed going with 64 bit rather than 32 bit
for the server?  I ask because I can test 32 bit locally, and don't have 64
bit available.  BTW, the lab will be 20 seats in a K-8 environment.  I'm
planning on running a lightweight window manager rather than KDE or Gnome.

3.  The lab will need to also speak to a Windows server for legacy student
files, thus I am looking at Samba and smbmount.  Any problems in sharing data
this way?

4.  Is there a good writeup on load sharing between two K12LTSP servers if we
decide to go a bit fancy?

5.  I'm going to be purchasing new small form factor diskless workstations for
the lab.  Are there any noted problems with either the Devon IT 6020 series
or the eBox-2300 and K12LTSP 6.0.0?  (It looks like the Diskless Workstations
LTSP Term 1000 is a rebranded eBox-2300.  Is this correct?)

6.  Are there any other words of wisdom you would like to supply?

BTW, I have been playing with LTSP/K12LTSP off and on for about 5 years, but
have not done a full, not-recovered-from-the-dumpster installation before.
My test server is a PIII/450 which was given to me.

I am very, very impressed with the ease of making K12LTSP work, and am looking
forward to getting this lab in to production.

Many thanks.
Jeff Williams - cfiaime at cfiaime.com