[K12OSN] OT - Student Entered Attendance System

Luke Maslany luke at maslany.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 12:39:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:58 AM, Carl Keil < carl at snarlnet.com > wrote:
I'm toying with the idea of using facial (and possibly voice) recognition software.  So, a kid comes in, sticks their mug into a camera and clicks a button that either says they are coming or going.  If the picture can't be recognized, it is stored and flagged for human identification

Aside from the accuracy issue (false positives would not be flagged as needing human verification in the system you outline) I'd have concerns that facial and vocal recognition could be said to be biometric information which might face some critisism from parents and possibly a legal challenge.  I seem to recall that at least one UK school that had to rip their biometric system out due to potential legal issues.

Luke