[K12OSN] New Server Capacity Thoughts.

Jamie Lists jamielist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 08:47:49 UTC 2008

We're thinking of putting 2 K12ltsp servers in each of our schools.

Our home directories are located on other fileservers and mounted via
NFS to the LTSP server. The LTSP server will not be doing dhcp / bind
/ etc etc.

Most of our schools have the 2 post telco racks. So we we're thinking
of buying the half length SuperMicro cases.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/502/SC502-200.cfm

With a SuperMicro motherboard/ 4 gig of ram / a single SATA 7200 RPM
hard drive and one Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA processor.

We're planning on trunking the  1gig nics together as well for a 2 gig
connection to the switch.

Clients will be assigned a server via DCHP. The DHCP table will have
the MAC address of the client and the first choice of server to boot
off of then the second and so on and so fourth.

Mostly these will run clients at K-5 using flash based games like at
funbrain.com.

So my question is do you think 50 clients per server is a reasonable
expectation?  I guess my main concern is the hard drive being a SATA
drive (not the no redundancy part it just not being a SCSI striped
RAID setup ) Even though it's not hosting the home directories will it
be good enough for launching apps?

Thanks - Jamie