[K12OSN] New Server Capacity Thoughts.

Rob Owens rob.owens at biochemfluidics.com
Fri Jun 6 13:17:54 UTC 2008

Personally I would want to have 2 SATA drives in software RAID 1.  But
if downtime isn't a big deal then a single drive would be ok.  If the
system is just being used for games, then maybe downtime doesn't matter.
  But do you think that people will start to use it for more than just
games, and come to depend on this system?

-Rob

Jamie Lists wrote:
> We're thinking of putting 2 K12ltsp servers in each of our schools.
>
> Our home directories are located on other fileservers and mounted via
> NFS to the LTSP server. The LTSP server will not be doing dhcp / bind
> / etc etc.
>
> Most of our schools have the 2 post telco racks. So we we're thinking
> of buying the half length SuperMicro cases.
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/1U/502/SC502-200.cfm
>
> With a SuperMicro motherboard/ 4 gig of ram / a single SATA 7200 RPM
> hard drive and one Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA processor.
>
> We're planning on trunking the  1gig nics together as well for a 2 gig
> connection to the switch.
>
> Clients will be assigned a server via DCHP. The DHCP table will have
> the MAC address of the client and the first choice of server to boot
> off of then the second and so on and so fourth.
>
> Mostly these will run clients at K-5 using flash based games like at
> funbrain.com.
>
> So my question is do you think 50 clients per server is a reasonable
> expectation?  I guess my main concern is the hard drive being a SATA
> drive (not the no redundancy part it just not being a SCSI striped
> RAID setup ) Even though it's not hosting the home directories will it
> be good enough for launching apps?
>
> Thanks - Jamie

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.