[K12OSN]Centos+USB+local printer... and sharing it

mumbler9 ssh at tranquility.net
Thu Jun 12 00:17:25 UTC 2008

I've been following the USB printer discussion with interest, I am
preparing to work on my first local printer. Here is it's situation.

It's an HP 1200 laser, currently the only printer on the system. It's
working fine attached to the terminal, but it's use would be better
served as a client's local printer.  Reading through the comments on
using a static setting in dhcpd makes sense, except the 'main user' will
not be always logging in at that terminal. I don't want to specify this
terminal (or it's printer) to always be one user. Specifying the printer
by MAC in lts.conf seems like it would solve this problem.

How can I use CUPS to point to a MAC address? A static IP would be fine
for this terminal, if that would help CUPS always find it.

Other users in other locations need to use this printer as well.

thx,
Scott S.