[K12OSN] proxy or ntlm authentication for client in k12ltsp

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 14:05:49 UTC 2008

Peter Scheie wrote:
> I think the usual solution is to run a separate proxy box between the
> ltsp server and the internet.  The box runs squid which I believe has
> modules that can be used for authentication & authorization, etc.  This
> question has come up on the list before; search the archives by googling
> for, say, 'web proxy site:www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn'.
>
> Peter

The "Advanced Proxy" add-on to IPCop can use several authentication
methods, including LDAP and Windows and it can be part of a
Firewall/Content-filter/Proxy-caching setup in one box. I am using IPCop
with several add-ons:

	- URLFilter (version of SquidGuard)- for content filtering
	- BlockOutTraffic for controlling outbound IP traffic
	- Update Accelerator - for caching updates for Apple, Linux and
	  Windows (among others).
	- Advanced Proxy (version of Squid) - needed to have both Update
	  Accelerator and URLFilter add-ons.

Just make sure you have machine with adequate RAM and Disk space (I'm
using a 2.8Ghz P4 with 2GB RAM and 80GB HD).