Re: [K12OSN] proxy or ntlm authentication for client in k12ltsp

Peter Scheie wrote:
I think the usual solution is to run a separate proxy box between the ltsp server and the internet. The box runs squid which I believe has modules that can be used for authentication & authorization, etc. This question has come up on the list before; search the archives by googling for, say, 'web proxy site:www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn'.

Peter

The "Advanced Proxy" add-on to IPCop can use several authentication methods, including LDAP and Windows and it can be part of a Firewall/Content-filter/Proxy-caching setup in one box. I am using IPCop with several add-ons:

	- URLFilter (version of SquidGuard)- for content filtering
	- BlockOutTraffic for controlling outbound IP traffic
	- Update Accelerator - for caching updates for Apple, Linux and
	  Windows (among others).
	- Advanced Proxy (version of Squid) - needed to have both Update
	  Accelerator and URLFilter add-ons.

Just make sure you have machine with adequate RAM and Disk space (I'm using a 2.8Ghz P4 with 2GB RAM and 80GB HD).

yogesh agrawal wrote:
 hi everyone,

I will try to explain my problem, in case of LTSP, if the server has access to internet all the clients also have access to internet. But my problem is i have to give access to only authorized person on the client to access net. so need some authentication system. At present we use non ltsp system which uses ntlm and proxy authentication. i cant use mac authentication, coz deployment site has cyber cafe kind of environment, i which user keep on changing but the machines r fixed.

I am really stuck coz of this problem, it would be really nice of u if u let me know how to overcome this problem or direct me to other sites tht can help.

best regards
yogesh