Re: [K12OSN] Boot from CD

All the mentioned ways work well, I have used several of them at one time or another. Also on the etherboot site there are several ways to use gPXE. Perhaps reflashing the BIOS of your motherboard may be a little extreme, but there are good instructions to use it from floppy, CD or USB key.

gPXE is nice because the server will already detect and use it with no additional configuration, and also because it will work with hundreds of network cards.

http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/howtos

Also, you can boot to a Knoppix disk in text mode (at the initial prompt type knoppix 2 ) and connect to the LTSP server with:

X -query server

You need to have your network connected, of course. Some Knoppix variants do this automatically, the rest you can 'sudo su' to get to root and then run netcardconfig. Choose DHCP, it should pick up an IP from the LTSP server.

thx,
Scott S.