[K12OSN] PDF file creation

Kevin Squire gentgeen at wikiak.org
Mon Jun 16 15:24:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:24:51 +0100
Brian Chivers <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> wrote:

> True, but looking for a mixed environment of LTSP & Doze boxes :-/
>
> Brian
>
> Guy-Michel Lessard wrote:
> > Isn't this what Terminals are all about, install the software once on
> > the server (pdfcreator) so that all can share?
> >
> >  >>> Brian Chivers <brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk> 2008-06-16 10:15:41 >>>
> > I'm looking for a nice simple way for users to create pdf's from any
> > type of file via nice simple
> > web interface.
> >
> > What I'd ideally like them to be able to do is upload the file and then
> > either to be sent the
> > resulting pdf to an email address or emailed a link where to download it
> > from.
> >
> > I did look at pdfcreator which looks OK but I'd have to install the
> > virtual print driver on every
> > machine which is doable but a web front end would make it so much easier :-)
> >
> > Any idea's / pointers ??
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brian

Set up the PDF printer in CUPS.

Share that printer on the network

Go to your windows box and add a printer... In my case I use:
   https://printserver.localdomain:631/printers/pdf

>From Windows, print to the PDF network printer

Basic setup done.

(I have this setup on a debian box, not on a K12LTSP box, so there are some settings difference)
On my debian box, the "printout" will land in $HOME/PDF/ for all local users and Anonymous SAMBA output lands in /opt/smbshare/PDF-Printer/  (/opt/smbshare/ is a directory I have set up for anonymous samba sharing)

So you might want to check the settings and/or watch the log while you do a test run. Now set up the destination directory to be shared over the network as well.  (Using samba/ftp/what ever you want).

Note of caution.. watch the file permissions.  I can see someone printing out something that someone else either should not see or accidently deletes before User1 can get to it.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org