Re: [K12OSN] VNC Problem Solved

Nils Breunese wrote:

But now I have two vnc servers installed.  Since one came built into ltsp
and the other (freenx) didn't configure for me properly (following
instructions at http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX which failed at
PasswordAuthentication no
       AllowUsers nx)
yum install nx freenx libXcomposite was the install command. Can I replace
install with uninstall?

FreeNX is not a VNC server. Both provide remote GUI access though. See 'yum --help', the command is remove, not uninstall.

Freenx with the NX client is much nicer, though. Don't give up on it. The trick is that the commercial NX server always uses the same key that matches the one built into the client, where freenx generates unique key pairs for each install. Just use putty to ssh to the server as root and cat /etc/nxserver/client.id_dsa.key, and in another window open the NX config screen and push the 'key' button. Then delete the existing key contents and paste in the correct one including the ---BEGIN and ---END lines. If you have trouble with this, use winscp or other means to transfer the file over and use the 'import' button. When you get it right you won't have the authentication failure error. If you have firewalling involved you may also want to make sure the "advanced/disable encryption of all traffic" box is unchecked so the connection will run over port 22.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com