[K12OSN] OT - Cell phones

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jun 18 12:07:16 UTC 2008

I prefer the "wallpaper every room with grounded foil so no radio waves
enter the space" method myself. I've seen teachers take personal calls
in front of their class. Students at a college I taught at were caught
using cell phone cameras to send the test to a friend with notes.
Answers were sent back by text message. I had them expelled.

Realistically, the cell phone for kids is so their parents can keep that
leash while allowing some freedoms. It's always argued that "if little
Johnny needs to get in touch with mommy..." but it's always used for
endless kids phone drivel (Has anyone ever listened to the conversations
of a teenager?!).

I implemented a policy in my college classes of taking my phone off at
the start of class and visibly turning it OFF, not just silent, and
after the first time the majority of students did the same. During
exams, any cell phone that rings or buzzes was an automatic F. As no one
in a classroom in K12 has responsibilities for emergency action other
than notified by the intercom, the instant access by cell phone is a bad
idea as it is just a major disruption of thought process.
</rant>
On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 07:03 -0400, Ryan Collins wrote:
> Accessys at smart.net wrote:
> > maybe every desk needs a "cell phone" holster into which everyone puts
> > their phone during class....maybe it hangs on the side of the desk.
> >
> > of course then you have a gazillion forgotten phones to deal with.
>
> This goes along with a solution I came up with last fall:
> http://ryancollins.org/u/11
>
> "Require all cell phones to be on a lanyard at all times when on a
> student. This removes the secrecy of the cell phone while making it a
> lot easier for teachers to monitor inappropriate cell phone use. The
> cell phone must always stay on the lanyard, even when in use."
>
> --
> Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator - Kenton City Schools
>
> Summer Summit Workshop:
> Workshop: Wed., June 25 (8:45am-4:00pm) Linux thin-clients for the win!
> http://ryancollins.org/u/w

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC