[K12OSN] Script to flush down the drain files from every user home...

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Jun 20 13:23:29 UTC 2008

Well, I'll start the discussion and let others refine it:

#!/bin/bash

for line in $(cat /etc/passwd)
do
	user=$(echo $line | cut -d":" -f1)
	uid=$(echo $line | cut -d":" -f3)
	homedir=$(echo $line | cut -d":" -f6)
	if [ $uid -ge 500 ]; then
		echo "Deleting files for user $user"
		rm -rf $homedir/.g*
		rm -rf $homedir/.mozilla
		rm -rf $homedir/.cxoffice
	fi
done

#####  End of script  #####

This is just off the top of my head; it may have some egregious errors. It tries
to only delete files in actual users' homedirs by only acting against those UIDs
that are greater than 500, thereby missing the various system IDs.  Test it
first on an inconsequential system, let others point out its flaws, YMMV, etc.

Peter