Re: [K12OSN] Script to flush down the drain files from every user home...

James P. Kinney III wrote:
On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 20:48 -0700, Jim Christiansen wrote:
Hi guys,  Thanks the thoughts.  On the upgrade/wipe-install question.
Today I backed up the group, shadow, password bla bla bla bla bla
files, unplugged the back-up rsync drive and did a full wipe then new
k12el5 install.  Put back the vital parts of the necessary conf files,
altered the network settings in the template ltsp dir for my different
network subnet, did the k12 initialize, plugged in the second drive,
mounted it then rsynced back to the users homes and perms of the
users...

Everything is good to go for the fall start of school!  Now for the
other two boxes!

OK so. what I need to do is to drop into EVERY users' home and remove
a set of files...

I've search high and low, through the lists going back 3 years or so
and can't find reference to any script that did this.  I think there
was one that several contributed to that we used to trash the dot
mozilla, .g* files, and I used it also for getting rid of the dot
cxoffice folders.  I'm not great at shell scripts.

Anyone have one?  Thanks,   Jim  :-)

for users in `ls -1 /home`
do
cd /home/$user
rm -rf .mozilla .g* .cxoffice*
done

Just add more dotfiles to the list. This is a very aggressive script and
it will not spare any users. Make sure you have a backup of /home first.

I think as-is, that would delete all of the home folders since it sets the variable "users" and uses "user" which will be empty. Also you don't want the extra stuff from -l in your ls listing and you probably want to make sure the cd succeeded before removing anything.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com